Sunday, June 27, 2010

Pawn Formations Part 6: Dealing with that Darn Dutch Defense



Now that I got your attention with the lead in photo. I search google images for Elias Stein (1748-1812), the Dutch Chess Master who recommended 1…f4 as the best response to 1.d4. This picture came up in the first page of searches oddly enough. No relation whatsoever to Mr. Stein… but it sure was different, no?

Elias Stein was around during the days of Francois Philidor and probably frequented the CafĂ© de la Regence in Paris. He wrote that “ If the opponent opens by pushing the queen’s pawn two squares, you cannot do better than to push the king’s bishop pawn two squares.”

Other than 1..d5, it’s an alternative that immediate contests White’s quest to dominate both central squares. I like the line that immediately plays 2.g3 but even the flexible 2.c4 can transpose. After Black plays 2…Nf6 3. C4 brings us to the main line of all the major branches. It’s Black’s third move that determines the course. If he begins the finachetto with 3…g6 it follows a Leningrad Dutch. If 3…e6 is played we are going down the classical Dutch which unfolds into other realms ( like the Stonewall).

The reason I like the 2.g3 line is that with 1..f5, Black concedes his c8-Bishop’s best square to challenge the center. White playing for immediate control of the long diagonal challenges the light squares.

Leningrad:
The critical Line so far: 1.d4 f5 2.g3 Nf6 3. Bg2 and now 3…g6 for Black enters the Leningrad Dutch. Black plays a type of King’s Indian with the f5 push. The challenge is the weakness on e6. White actually has some flexibility with the fourth move. 4.c4 is theprinciple move but will sometimes hold off and develop the King’s knight and castle first before bringing this pawn forward. 4. Nh3 is a valid line with the intent of going to f4 blocking Black’s f-pawn. The general theme is to build pressure on e4, nothing unusual in this d4- games. However, with the King side finachetto, White can really delay the e2-e4 push and take his time to develop towards the Queen side. Getting the Queen bishop on the other long diagonal is the best way to contest the Black pieces.
Classical:
With 3…e6, again 4.c4 is the principle line but can delay it until after the Kingside is developed. Though, playing 4.c4 is my choice as I would rather face the Stonewall variation (4…d4) with the option of exchanging cxd5. If Black plays 4…d6 we enter the main line of the Classical Dutch. There are similar themes with building pressure for e4. In the classical line, White can play to gain space on the Queen side. In the Stonewall, with 4…d5 5.cxd5, this sets up similar themes of minority attacks for White. With the pawn on f5 however, White has a little more of a hard time mustering up a king side attack as in the QGD-Exchange variation.

It just so happened that I was barely prepared to play this opening this past week at the club. I lost due to a strategy error. For some reason I was fearless and allowed my opponent to gain a nice outposted knight on c4.


I know, go ahead and beat me up… I already did. I did walk away with my class A player remarking that I played the strongest continuation to his variation of the Dutch that he decided he was not going to play it again at the Club because of it! So there, even when I lose, I inflict some level of intimidation. Go figure. I’ve been working on improving my strategy all week at chess.com using the mentor tools. Good stuff.

Bring on the World:

I am hitting the road this week and heading to the World open. If you are there look for me in the U1800 section. This will be my year to win… right? ( Everyone says that) I just hope to have a strong performance and play some decent chess. I am looking forward to this. If you are there and in my section, be prepared and read my blog… I want a good challenge or I will OWN you!

7 comments:

es_trick said...

I used to play the Dutch in the mid 70's. The last few years I've been playing the KID. But I think I may give the Dutch another whirl. Played the Stonewall variation back then, but I like the idea of the Leningrad now, which seems like a hybrid of the KID and the Dutch.

Good Luck at the W.O.

Liquid Egg Product said...

Plus the power of the facial hair...men with good facial hair are twice as likely to win the battle of intimidation.

Google's word verification this time? "insest"

LinuxGuy said...

That's exactly how I visualize the Dutch Defense, a lady that has to has to try to hold her dress down.

I don't see how it works. When I play it as Black I usually get crushed or get a horribly defensive position, which I also see others get when they play it.

Takes a long time for Black to initiate anything, IMHO. If you can make it past that point, then maybe it's alright.

Montse said...

13. Ng5 h6 14. Qb3 d5

White replies with: 15. Nxe6 Bxe6 16. exd5 if Bxd5 17.BxB QxB 18. RxB with attack on c7 (white wins pawn at the cost of weakness around his own king)

if Bf7 then 17.QxN ... and so on ... further ideamight be to exchange rook for bishop and pin with dark squared bishop the black Queen & rook. White could prepare Ba3 by playing a4.

Montse said...

13. Ng5 h6 14. Qb3 d5

White replies with: 15. Nxe6 Bxe6 16. exd5 if Bxd5 17.BxB QxB 18. RxB with attack on c7 (white wins pawn at the cost of weakness around his own king)

if Bf7 then 17.QxN ... and so on ... further ideamight be to exchange rook for bishop and pin with dark squared bishop the black Queen & rook. White could prepare Ba3 by playing a4.

LinuxGuy said...

I wish I had given you some advice on some of these later games.

I don't play d4 or the Dutch defense, so I am coming from the "unwashed masses" perspective on this game.

I like what you had done in the opening. Simply following it up with Qd3, Ba3, e5, exd, c5. White would seem to have every reason for an advantage.

h4 gave Black a target, weakened f4, and gave Black an attack. Qb3 failed to c4, when he had two White pawns hitting d3. The Qb3 is more a calculation mistake than anything else.

Realistically, h4 was the losing move, since it dropped the pawn on c4 as well, but simply completing development of queen and bishop looks nice for White. No need to fear Class A opponent as White there, and make a desperate move.

Boris Schipkov said...

I have many games in the Dutch Defence with commentary in http://www.chessib.com/dutch.html
Probably it is interesting.