Wednesday, April 11, 2007

Globu-draw

Last night I played Globular at our club. I had Black and took him down an exchange Caro-Kan that I like to play ( 5…Qc7 Variation). After 1.e4 c6 2. d4 d5 3. exd5 cxd5 4. Bd3 Nc6 5 c3 Qc7 :





In the exchange, White typically gets his bishops to d3 and f4 with knights on d2 and f3 to put pressure in the center. What I like most about the 5…Qc7 variation is that it makes it hard for Black to deploy the bishop to the b8-h2 diagonal.

Black’s typical responses are to develop the king knight to f3 or e2 ( which he did in this case) allowing Black to pester the knight for the sole purpose of breaking the security of the White’s king side pawns. If white prevents it with h3, then Black develops the Bishop normally to d7.

The game continues 6. Ne2 Bg4 7. f3 Bd7 ( the maneuver was intentional and now the white king has no real secure haven to retreat to.) 8. Bf4 e5 9.dxe5 Nxe5 10. Bc2 Nf6 11. a4 (Stronger might have been Ba4 instead). 11…Bd6 12. Bg5 Be6 In this position I have an IQP. I know how to play these positions and how it can be a middle game advantage if I don’t play too passive. I have the pieces all around it. But if I don’t protect it, the queen will grab the center and then I will be in a defensive mode.
13 Bxf6 gxf6 14 Nd4 :




I missed a stronger move here with 14…Nc4 which threatens both b2 and e3. If white tries to defend with the queen at c1, I have Bf4 and a strong attack. I was worried about the queen side though so I played concservatively 14…a6 15 Qe2 Qc4 16 Nd2 Qxe2 17 Kxe2 0-0-0 18 g3 Rde8 19Kf2 Nc4 20 Nxc4 dxc4 21 Nf5 Bc5+ 22 Kg2 Bd5 23 Rhe1 and a draw offer was made which I accepted.




Double bishops with a double pawn versus Bishop and Knight, I couldn’t see a plan that didn’t put my game at risk and at 10 Pm I was about to take chances. While going over the game, an Expert offered that I could have brought my rook to e5 to prepare to double up the rooks on the file or undoable the pawns if he exchanged. Then he proceeded to show me several moves later …with exact play… how I could have eventually won the game. I’m still happy with the half point.

-BP

No comments: